Deputy Director of Development
REMOTE / FULL TIME
Protect Our Care is seeking an experienced Development professional to join our team. This person will play a key role in our growing Development program by helping design and manage a database of foundation and individual donor prospects, conducting prospect research, writing proposals and grant reports, and cultivating relationships with a portfolio of up to forty individuals and foundations. This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic nonprofit organization that is at the forefront of the fight to make health care more affordable and equitable for everyone in America. Protect Our Care’s Development team solicits and manages donations to both a 501(c)(3) public charity and a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization. Our donors and prospects are primarily large foundations but we are launching a new fundraising initiative focused on individuals and family foundations. The Deputy Director will report directly to the Chief Development Officer (CDO) and be supported part-time by a Development Coordinator and Special Assistant. This role is considered exempt for overtime purposes.
- Manage a new Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) database (Every Action) in close collaboration with the CDO and Development Coordinator.
- Direct a prospect research program focused on identifying and creating effective solicitation strategies for prospective donors, with an emphasis on political donors and family foundations.
- Collaborate with senior leadership and staff in our Research, Legislative, Policy, Communications, Digital and Organizing programs to identify new and creative project ideas and giving opportunities for potential donors.
- Play a lead role in designing and successfully implementing new giving programs, particularly for c4 political donors.
- Write a variety of Development documents for donors including outreach emails, project concept papers, grant proposals and donor stewardship reports.
- Collaborate with Finance consultants and staff at our fiscal sponsor, to prepare financial reports to donors as required.
- Manage the Development Coordinator’s efforts to expand online fundraising and use social media to increase awareness of Protect Our Care in the donor community.
- Directly manage a portfolio of up to 40 prospective individual and/or foundation donors.
- Minimum of four years of experience in nonprofit and/or political campaign fundraising.
- Familiarity with prospect management software, ideally Salesforce or Every Action.
- Experience with prospect research tools such as Donor Search.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to quickly master complex subject matter.
- A passion for progressive policy advocacy.
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced, campaign style work environment.
The position is permanently and fully remote and the salary range is $90,000 to $100,000. There will be a preference for candidates living in the Washington, DC area but candidates from any location will be considered.
Comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees (and their families). Employees are able to enroll in 401k retirement plans and are eligible for a 3% automatic contribution and up to a 3% employer match on 401k contributions. Employees are also eligible for pre-tax
transportation benefits. Employees will receive 120 hours of vacation time, 80 hours of health leave, up to 2 days of casual leave, and 20 hours of volunteer leave annually. Employees will also receive 13 paid holidays throughout the calendar year. Employees are eligible for 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave after 90 days of employment.
About Protect Our Care
Protect Our Care is dedicated to making high-quality, affordable and equitable health care a right, and not a privilege, for everyone in America. We educate the public, influence policy, support health care champions and hold politicians accountable. Our strategy combines an action-oriented mentality with a best-in-class earned media and communications program, a highly effective inside game with policy makers, and deep engagement at the state and local level. Learn about the impact of our work here. The Protect Our Care Education Fund operates as a 501 (c)(3) public charity.
How to Apply
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Protect Our Care is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, New Venture Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at HR@newventurefund.org.